Part P for Plumbers – What’s it all about?

Well if you haven’t already heard about Part P I shall explain all about it here. There were a few new building regulations made by the UK government that came into effect on January 1st 2005 and Part P was one of these new building regulations, that run’s from Part A through to Part P.

Part P is of great interest to plumbers because this new regulation states that whatever electrical work that’s carried out must be notified to the local authority. If however the work that’s to be carried out is done so by a competent person who under the Part P scheme is already registered then this wouldn’t apply to them, they wouldn’t have to notify the local authority and can just get on with carrying out the work that needs to be completed.

How do you register with Part P?

Ok so to register under the Part P scheme you must be able to prove your worth competently wise, you must be able to work effectively, efficiently and safely on all electrical equipment around the home.

To prove your worth you’ll be assessed by a governing body assessor. You must show the governing assessor that you already have good understanding and knowledge in electrical installation and also have a relevant qualification that will prove to them that you do know how to work competently around the home.

There are five governing bodies under the Part P scheme and these include:

  • ECA
  • British Standards

Here is a link to the PDF document all about Part P, if you would like to read more info.

Do I really need Part P?

Yes, most definitely especially if you want to carry out electrical work. For example if you have Part P you can carry out all these tasks such as installing electrical showers or maybe even extractor fans that go above the hob in the kitchen all of these tasks involve Part P.

There are many more tasks that can only be carried out if you’re Part P registered including:

  • Central heating controls
  • Extension of ring mains
  • Replacement of immersion heaters and controls
  • Installation of immersion heaters and controls
  • Installation of electric showers or shower pump
  • Replacement of electric showers and pumps
  • Bonding earth in kitchens, shower rooms and bathrooms
  • Installation of macerator units
  • The replacement of macerator units

So as you can see getting Part P registered would open new doors for you regarding the types of tasks that you will be able to carry out around the home.

How can I get trained up?

Well as with most skills in the construction industry there are many doors into the plumbing industry. There are many fantastic training centres located all over the UK so there’s bound to be one close to you. These training centres are ideally suited to all ages and cover all the theory and practical that you will need to succeed ideal if you’re a complete beginner in this exciting field.

Or if you’re already a qualified plumber then there are short courses or refresher courses out there ideal if you’re already experienced in your field but would like more certificates to your name. Maybe you would like a certificate in electrical installation to boost up your workload.

Another route into the industry is via an apprenticeship where you’ll be trained up on the job by an experienced expert in their field. You’ll be paid as you train. This really is an invaluable way of entering into the plumbing industry.

Remember that if you’re planning on completing an intense plumbing course make sure that Part P training is in the course, this is really important to point out.

So there you have it as you can see getting Part P registered really will boost your workload and prove that you’re fully competent in your field of work. So I wish you luck in getting Part P registered and hope new doors will open for you!